tree

Friday, January 1, 2016

Belize


You watch us, Papa

The three of us here
Sand between our toes
The wind breaking the heat of the sun in half

Eleven boats bop below the Pelicans 
One paddle broader unafraid
Though the waves are choppy 
like cement along a stone wall
Without rhythm 
Mustang 

The palms lean in toward the wind
Their shoulders 
& body tilted 
Firm

You will find my husband like a fish
Wet 
And unafraid of the break of the water
When I first met him he was clad and tall in Hawaiian shorts
His hair long and untamed like the water today
I think water is his home

I do not find this place 
to be a small thing
And I hope I never will
Become unaware of how large a gift it is
To sit here 
The sun massaging all of us
Soaking into our skin 
I hope I never become ungrateful 
Or expectant 
Of such lush and tropical things 

The break of water on the reef 
The week away from snow
The bacon fresh on the grill
Santa behind it, wooden spoon
Perfect eggs
The quiet woman with soft bones and a fierce spirit who cut all of the fruit and makes sure we are full of vegetables 
Here, One of the sisters I never had who is bold
Confident 
And sure 

The reflections of the sun sparkling 
The teal of the water 

You watch us, and you must know
I am thankful. 

1 comment:

  1. Yes yes. So many wonderful warm gifts. rejoicing with you as you reflect

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to say a lil sumthin! Im so grateful that you even read my words and I hope they inspire and draw you closer to Jesus!