tree

Monday, November 23, 2015

C

Bon Iver is there 
Licking the noise 
You and I have chosen him over Christmas music 

The hour carries on and charcoal pencils scratch at the surface of black paper
Acrylic paint falls from tubes like a druel 

You throw down your paintbrush after I speak
and I find your tiny art in the trash

The paint is raised and the darks are brilliant next to the white 
The edges are cut imperfectly and close to the reflective objects 

carefully I compliment and critique because both of these you have blown up at saying 

I'm lying because you can do better and I'm lying 

Quietly I ask if we can talk after class while you project your feelings about your work onto me as if I said those rude things that you have said to yourself as you try and build the color

You stand 
all of yourself turned into your oversized Levi jean jacket
Hair long and rude over your shoulders 
The apron packed away 
No septum piercing today 

all I have said is
You could be an artist someday...for real, and I love your style, and great work on the tonal value 
Maybe develop this spot a little more 
And you remind me of myself but still
You say I'm lying 
And why don't I critique you more
And then I can't win because I have also tried that

I ask you to not yell during class
And also not to tell me I'm lying at least not in front of all the other students carefully bringing their work to a glow
because it comes across as disrespectful 
And you cry
You didn't mean to be disrespectful 
And I tell you that I know that 
And that its okay

I try to hug you but you tap on my back and stiffen
You tell me you really really like me
That I have good jams
To sit next to you because you are lonely
But push away every piece of sweet words I have to say
As if they are poison and unable to make you more

I call Vicki and she tells me
Yes yes you did the correct thing and 
Then
Thank you for being you
And I wince and accept it with a tiny window of my brain and then
Realize how easy it must be
To not believe 
Even
One 
Word of kindness. 


1 comment:

  1. chelsea. i'm saying your name really slow to express love and respect for your words. i. love. your. words. of. art.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to say a lil sumthin! Im so grateful that you even read my words and I hope they inspire and draw you closer to Jesus!