tree

Friday, March 4, 2016

E

I saw the divorce in your eyes
Your spine 
The way you bend over the counter to hand them your card 
Or respond when I ask 
"What kind of music do you like?"

"I don't really know anymore."

You study the earth, rocks, writing 
Just now finishing an essay on how you became a geology student 

You were the one that taught me if you want to write you must write everyday 
But you don't know that I know that even though you study rocks
You have none to stand on 

You have always been quiet these last 5 years 
But this is different 
This is like someone is twisting the skin of your arm and seeing how far it can stretch and you are trying as hard as you can to be

Straight faced

Your mom told me about the
Time you cried 
And the last time I saw her 
It was only a minute 
She reassured me how final her marriage is 
As if I let on somewhere along the line that I approved 

She said it right there in the salon as if I had asked her the age of her cat or where she got the brown eyes from


You are not afraid for her life
But for your own
You are grieving something you once believed in and now have nothing to write about or study for 

||did you know? divorce, it takes place in all of your children too

1 comment:

Thank you so much for taking the time to say a lil sumthin! Im so grateful that you even read my words and I hope they inspire and draw you closer to Jesus!