tree

Thursday, November 3, 2016

Hospitals

I hate hospitals 
Their shiny floors
And intolerable beeping
The maze of drs and nurses who are in and out and around
The oil paintings strung up by nails that suggest this to be a happy place 
We walk to room 5022
I see his feet
Rubber gray socks

Lyle.

2.
Mom reaches over during lunch
(They have taken him away for more tests and ultrasounds, checking the messages of his heart and the size of his spleen) 
I tried to leave once 
With the excuse of all I had to get done 
My head spinning 
My eyes raw with holding everything in 
The message on my lips bright and positive 
Lies. 

Mom reaches over for me during lunch
The cafeteria is buzzing 
And wipes at my forehead

I ask her what she is wiping away 
She tells me lines
Worry lines
That have built their way into my skin

3.
Dr Brenner 
Was a quiet man with words that were solid and understandable 
He spoke slowly
It is so we can hear him through the bramble of long delicate words that mean illness and life or death

He gives us good news with some hesitancy 
Not too much good news 
Enough to keep us positive 
Not enough that we can call him a 
Liar.

Grandpa was in good spirits, 
His thigh exposed by the sheet, 
The white loose undies showing just barely on his hip
They hang loose in the buttocks
As they lead him here and there 
He doesn't even think of it
He thinks of how he plans to live longer 
And the French toast he ate this morning
And the pot roast on its way 

When he talks he puts both arms above his head
We can see the tubes and the IV and the oxygen machine
The bruises that suggested 
"Something is wrong in here" 
Our bodies are wonderful companions 
They are with us through all of this 
Life

4. 
Life is marked with so much pain
I see it in all of the halls
In the way the nurses carry Pelicans in their voices 
A large body of things they don't say 

Life is also marked with so much beauty
And I will find it during all of this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to say a lil sumthin! Im so grateful that you even read my words and I hope they inspire and draw you closer to Jesus!