tree

Wednesday, November 23, 2016

J 3

I hammered up the stairs and peeked in 
The Blanket stretched over him carefully tucked in all the right places to cover his feet, his shoulders like skin 

He opened his eyes and whispered my name 
"I'm trying to take a nap," he said then, smiling 

I reached down, took in the scent of bonfire
The morning was spent brush in hand carrying all of the tree to the fire 
My mother complained of cramped feet, 
My father ladeled tomatoe soup into two bowls 

My little brother is still a child trying to climb out 
Somewhere it became stunted
Someone put him back down 
He is still small yet the skin wrapped around his organs is almost 28 years old. 

How did this happen? 

I kissed him on the cheek and whispered "I just wanted to say hi" and I left just as quickly 

Just enough that he knows I'm still here 
Not too much to smother him 
... 

This is the way to press through things 
This is research and art and 
The bookends to all the events 
This is a collection of tears 
They are shoved 
With salt sprinkled delicacy into this space 

Can you feel what I feel? 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to say a lil sumthin! Im so grateful that you even read my words and I hope they inspire and draw you closer to Jesus!