tree

Sunday, October 23, 2016

River rats

"Are you the new neighbors?" 

I watch them approach 
Both pink in the face 
The color of embarrassment or flamingos
People tell me never to assume 
But I assume that alcohol has lived in their veins
The way blood does 
It has a habit of changing the face and the eyes 
Glazed
I've seen this many times before 

I saw it in the face of my man that sold us our home, his voice was rusty with addictions 
and protective of the home as he handed over a key. 

They both reach for my hand 
An extention of friendship 
"I'm Steve 
This is my wife Patty
We are the old neighbors" 

He gestures with a lazy hand toward the house 
"You may be new here, but you might be here awhile...the river has a way of getting to you" 

When he says this I feel something in the wind 
I wonder how does it get to you?
Is it like a mold? Or a demon or a kind of food that you love? 
Does it have a habit of changing the face and the eyes?

"I've been here a good 38 years..." he says as he passes, repeating our names, assuring us, he will remember them. 

what will be come of us. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to say a lil sumthin! Im so grateful that you even read my words and I hope they inspire and draw you closer to Jesus!