tree

Monday, February 27, 2017

Crater

I don't know how 
We became close 
What with this gigantic crater sitting between us 

Somehow we got to the place where you send me photos of yourself remarking how very long I've been gone and I think what you might be saying is 
"You can come back now"

// 

He knew me when I was bad off 
When I couldn't sleep and there was a demon sitting politely on my forehead 
He knew me when my entire world was becoming unsewn at the seams, and I was frantic to put it all back together running here and there after my brothers my Dad seizing in the hospital while my mom was a puddle 
And she was always the strong one 
Little affected her 

During this time I turned against him most. 
I half expected him to save me and for him to love me enough when I hated myself 

// 

Shoulder to shoulder 
For years we didn't talk about it
The crater between us... slowly it became smaller 
And smaller 
It's still there , a few unspoken things 

I'm still a little afraid to be weak with you

But once when my brother was taken in to the hospital for his mental breakdown and I lost it in the break room you called me sweety and touched my arm and let me cry 

You told me a few days later you were praying for him
And I always believe you 
You don't have too many words and so when you speak I believe you 

A couple things unbuckled then

//

The reason I don't tell you everything: 

I feel I must balance what you've already learned about me from way back when

I'm embarrassed

Maybe I still believe you see me this way. 
But it's probably not true. 

// 

You came over to help me unpack recently 
And fold laundry 
It was weird you sitting on the bed surrounded by baskets of our things 
talking about underwear and sorting socks 
You were still dressed from work 
Just popped on by to help me get caught up so I could come out that night  

// 

You are a real friend

Loyal
Interesting
Challenging 

I want to tell you how much that means to me. 
Despite all the things you could think of me. 
And don't. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to say a lil sumthin! Im so grateful that you even read my words and I hope they inspire and draw you closer to Jesus!